- January 24, 2018
- Posted by: Oliver Cheruiyot
- Category: Car Keys
Of thousands of used cars imported each year in the Kenya, only a small percentage will come with 2 or more keys.
A handful of these new car buyers will be sensible and contact an auto locksmith or local dealer garage to buy a spare key. Unfortunately there are still are a large amount of motorists driving around with just one key, In fact it is estimated that around 60% of motorists in Kenya do not have a spare car key.
Whether it be due-diligence or for other practical reasons, it makes great sense to have a spare car key. Here are 10 reasons why every car owner should have at least one spare key.
- 1) Cost saving – Getting a second key from an auto locksmith while you have at least one working key will save you cash. An auto locksmith will normally have less work to do and will not need to gain entry to your car or remove any locks.
- 2) Peace of mind – Even if you are the only driver and an additional key is not being used, it still makes sense to have a spare car key stored somewhere safe. This removes the worry of losing your key and gives you a backup option if you can’t find your key but know it is somewhere inside the house. If you are are running late you can take the spare key and find the missing key later when you have time.
- 3) Easier for two drivers – Frequently cars are shared between two people and using just one key can increase the risk of the key becoming lost. If each driver of the car has their own key there is less chance of forgetting where the key is, and it could also save time on waiting to meet the other driver to pass over the key.
- 4) Time saving – If you lose your only car key it could mean you are delayed and likely to miss important appointments. It could potentially see you go without your car for over one week. An auto locksmith can normally replace lost car keys within 24 hours but some main dealers will need to order a replacement key from overseas, taking as long as seven days.
- 5) Convenience – Having a backup car key will save you the hassle of towing your car into a dealers garage or waiting around for an auto locksmith to arrive.
- 6) Driver settings – Some of the more advanced smart keys store user comfort settings. This means when the key is detected the vehicle adjusts pre defined settings such as seat position, mirror position and radio volume. Each driver can store their own comfort settings in their own car key, so having more than one key has clear advantages.
- 7) Quick cloning – Some car keys can be cloned by an auto locksmith in a matter of seconds. The key is inserted into a cloning machine that reads the transponder data and duplicates it onto another key. If you lose all of the keys for a Toyota the cost for a replacement is huge.
- 8) Snapped key substitute – Car keys are prone to bending and snapping. If your key snaps into two you will be extremely grateful if you have a spare stored in a safe place.
- 9) Vehicle security – In the event a car key is stolen you are at risk of the key thieves locating and stealing your car. Car thieves can probably get to your car before an auto locksmith, but if you have a spare key you can access the car and drive if to a safe location for an auto locksmith to cut a replacement key and erase the stolen key.
- 10) Access keys locked in the car – Should you accidentally lock your keys in the car you will have a spare key to unlock the vehicle and retrieve your keys. During the winter months thousands of motorists lock their keys inside a running vehicle whilst defrosting the windscreens. Having a spare key will save you both time and cash in having to call out an auto locksmith.
Hopefully our 10 reasons for getting a spare car key has convinced you just how important it is to have a second key. If you only have one car key do not wait until it’s too late, get a replacement car key TODAY!
If you can think of any other good reasons to have a spare car key let us know in the comment box below.